Like I mentioned previously, the theme for the object collection We’ll be reconstructing digitally is “Household items”. The decision was simple enough and was based on the grounds that, since there was no benchmark for 3D objects captured with a low cost depth-sensing camera, then the objects I would use should be low-cost everyday items.
While some tracks submitted to SHREC are targeted to be used in small perturbations contexts, and thus feature captures made to objects in different poses with some perturbations to its shape, the target with BeKi is quite different. We intend to define a human-generated ground truth, whose details I’ll go into later. I’ll just leave it with, if we intend to test our subjects with the full-on group of objects and therefore return valid results for the queries, we need every capture to respect to individual objects and have them all present at the time. For the collection size, we’re targeting around 200 individual household items.
We asked for collaboration among friends and family to share some items, and as of now, we collected, indexed and cataloged 197 objects. We’ll try to expand the collection a little beyond the 200 mark as some might be troublesome to capture, especially glass or chrome items. For the cataloging process, I counted with the collaboration of a fellow student, Marcus Gomes, who helped collect and catalog most of the collection in a backend which I developed in the course of a week in QT and SQLite.
Of the collected items, it’s interesting to note that most of these are old toys that, perhaps unsurprisingly, people are quite willing to share for the purpose we specified.
Another important step for the cataloging process was taking photos to help ID every item in later stages. For that we created a setup and took the pictures with a Nikon D300 as can be seen in the following photo:
Stay tuned for scenes from the next episodes!